All You Need To Know About Australian Family Visas

Would you want to visit or live with family members that reside in Australia? Family visas will allow you to visit the country for a short period or become a permanent resident in Australia. Read this extract to learn more about Australian family visas.

Partner Visa

The Australian partner visa enables you to visit your spouse or de facto partner in Australia. Subclass 820 is a temporary permit while subclass 801 is a permanent visa. Applicants must provide sufficient evidence that they are in a genuine relationship with Australian citizens or permanent residents. As such, the immigration department could ask you to provide a marriage certificate or financial documents to prove that you own joint property. 

Prospective Marriage Visa

The prospective marriage visa (subclass 130) is designed for people that wish to marry Australian citizens or permanent residents. It is a non-renewable visa that lasts for nine months. You must be married within this period. Similar to the partner visa, the immigration department will conduct thorough background checks to gauge the genuineness of your relationship. A partner visa will help you extend your stay in the country.  

Dependent Family Visa

The dependent family visa allows children and spouses of Australian citizens to live, study and work in the country. There are several categories of dependent family visas.

  • A child visa permits children below twenty-five years to visit and live in Australia. The child's parents must demonstrate their willingness to sponsor the child's needs.
  • The dependent student visa allows international students to invite unmarried children, spouses and dependent family members to live with them in the country.
  • The dependent work visa allows foreign workers to bring dependent family members into the country. 

Eligibility Criteria

Each visa has different eligibility criteria. However, applicants must meet the health and character requirements set by the immigration department. Typically, you are required to provide a police clearance certificate from your home country to prove you are not a security risk. Besides, you will undergo medical checks to ensure you do not have communicable diseases such as COVID-19 and tuberculosis. 

As a rule, you should hire an experienced immigration attorney to evaluate your case and advise which visa suits your needs. The attorney will organise your paperwork and contact the immigration department to speed up the visa application process. Besides, the attorney will prepare you for interviews. 

People that wish to invite family members and spouses to live in Australia can apply for a partner visa, prospective marriage visa or dependent family visa. An immigration lawyer will guide you through the application process.